After Valve completed the 112 Dota 1 heroes, the gaming company announced to release its first ever Dota 2 hero that wasn’t taken from DotA. Everyone involved in Dota 2 seemed to have already known about the name, but how much do we really know about Monkey King?
Sun Wukong: The Origin
The “monkey” concept is not new in the world of MOBA. League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, SMITE, Strife, and many other games have their own version of the Monkey King. This fall, Dota 2 will join the many in having their own version of Sun Wukong the Monkey King.
Sun Wukong is a Chinese mythological figure who features in a body of legends. He is a monkey born from a stone who acquires supernatural powers through Taoist practices. After rebelling against heaven and being imprisoned under a mountain by the Buddha, he later accompanies the monk named Xuanzang on a journey to retrieve Buddhist sutras from India. Sun Wukong appears as a main character in the 16th century Chinese classical novel Journey to the West which recently had a movie adaptation.
Based on the mythology, Sun Wukong is a highly skilled fighter capable of fighting against the best warriors in heaven. He possesses the following abilities:
- Immense strength enabling him to carry his of 7,960 kilograms (17,550 lb) staff without difficulty
- 72 transformations allowing him to transform into any form; however, he is never able to transform his tail.
- He can also transform each of the 84,000 hairs on his body into any other form including a clone of himself, animate or inanimate.
- Extreme speed where he can travel 21,675 kilometers (13,468 mi) in one somersault
- Can command elements like wind and water to turn against enemies;
- Ability to summon local deities
- Able to identify evil no matter what form it takes
- Acquires staff that is able to open any lock and erect circular barrier to protect himself
Ideas of Monkey King’s Skills
Although Valve has not yet released the official skills of the hero, many ideas are already circulating around forums based on the skills mentioned above and the official trailer released by Valve during The International 2016. Here are some sets of ideas taken from around the web (including ones which were intended for DotA’s unreleased Sun Wukong).
1) Warrior's Slam - Monkey king jumps and slams his staff throwing enemies away from him while stunning them form 2 secs
2) Animal's Instinct - Monkey king jumps to nearby trees making him invisible
3) Trickster's strike (passive/pure damage) - Monkey king's first attack from invisibility gives 3x critical strike while throwing away the enemy
4) King's Wave (Ultimate) - Monkey King summons copies of himself running in a straight line attacking enemies in its path for 5 secs, summons have tricksters strike in their first attack
1) Piercing eyes - Enabling him to distinguish invisibility items and phantoms of enemies in 600 range
2) Riding clouds - Additional speed of 522, lasting 30s
3) True strike - A passive skill, prevents his attacks from missing
4) Summon monkeys - this is a final skill of the Monkey King, he can create 5 phantoms of himself, and the phantoms have 10% damage but get incoming damage of 100%
1) Echo Sweep - Sun Wukong unleashes his spirit and sweeps the ground, dealing damage and striking all foes with a single attack from an illusion
2) Flickr - Performs a quick dash leaving behind a trail of illusions to attack anyone in your wake
3) Nimble Nimbus - Sun Wukong and his illusions have a chance to vault over their target on each hit, swapping positions. Enemies are spun facing away from Sun Wukong after the flip, while he is turned to their back
4) Cloud Dance - Target hero becomes immobilized as Sun Wukong performs a sky high somersault off a cloud, then crashes back down surrounding his target with three illusions on all four sides.
This skill set found in a Chinese forum was claimed to be a leak of the official hero:
1) Landslide Hit: Houge use Jingu Bang Bash ground, all the enemy units in front of the entire sector region of flying hit 1.25 seconds and stun damage, the greater the closer Houge suffered damage and stun effect.
Minimum Damage: 75/125/175/225
Maximum Damage: 150/250/350/450
Minimum Stun: 1/1.25/1.5/1.75
Maximum Stun: 2/2.5/3/3.5
2) Monkey King Bar: Wukong mantra can make the golden cudgel larger or smaller. Larger increases attack range, splash damage, attack, attack and movement speed reduction. Smaller decreases attack range, attack power, increasing attack speed and movement speed.
Attack Range Decrease: 100/75/50/25
Attack Damage Decrease: 45/35/25/15%
Attack Speed Increase: 30/60/90/120%
Movement Speed Increase: 10/20/30/40%
Attack Range Increase: 150/200/250/300
Attack Damage Increase: 25/35/40/45%
Attack Speed Decrease: 55/50/45/40%
Movement Speed Decrease: 35/30/25/20%
Splash Damage (?): 15/20/25/30%
Transformation Time (?): 2.5/2/1.5/1.75
Cooldown Mana Cost
3) Somersault Cloud: Houge call somersault cloud, within a certain time to obtain the movement speed bonus, significantly attenuated into the fight, in the somersault cloud state can ignore the terrain.
Minimum Movement Speed Bonus: 15/25/35/35
Maximum Movement Speed Bonus: 150/250/350/450
Cooldown Mana Cost
4) 72 Transformations: Houge transform into any object, including units, trees, water, wild strange, rune, and so on. Transfiguration lost all property, retaining only the speed and value of life, attack or release of the skills to use items, will resume immediately turned from a state body, to restore the body after any additional skills and attack damage.
Additional Damage: 50/100/150%
Duration: 3600 seconds
Cooldown Mana Cost
Another popular character that is based on Sun Wukong is Dragonball’s protagonist, Son Guko. Despite the presence in the other mainstream MOBA games, Sun Wukong, the Monkey King, is definitely a character Dota 2 worth having. His interesting lore and godly abilities inspired a lot of works not only in video games but also in films and animations.